I’m not referring to making smart choices, I’m referring to boosting brain-power! That’s right, there are foods that are proven to increase memory, fight against dementia and Alzheimer’s, and improve brainpower! Here are some of my favorites!
1) Pumpkin seeds are loaded with zinc (literally so that you can think) and boost memory
2) Chia seeds, which contain nutrients that promote brain health
3) Broccoli is a prefect source of vitamin K, which is known to enhance cognitive function
4) Blueberries work to prevent short term memory loss
5) Eggs contain vitamin E which can help to prevent cognitive decline in the future
6) Tomatoes have lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that may prevent dementia
This morning I had a big chemistry exam, so I wanted to make a breakfast that would give me a brain boost! (I’ll take what I can get when it comes to chem) I decided to make egg white bites a fun twist on a classic scramble. The great thing about these is you can easily add your favorite ingredients (mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, cheese, onion…) The best thing is these bites run from about 20 calories each so eat a bunch guilt-free!
Here is what I used…
Egg White Bites
1/2 tomato diced
2 scallions diced
spinach (I just tore the leaves)
salt and pepper to taste
Spray a muffin tin with coconut spray, tear the spinach and place in tin, cover the bottoms with spinach but don’t fill the tin. Add tomatoes and scallions. Sprinkle garlic powder over veggies.
If you are using a carton of egg whites fill to 3/4. If you are cracking whole eggs, separate them over the respective tin (1 egg white/bite). Add salt and pepper to taste and a dash of paprika. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Whether you need a boost of brain power or not these bites won’t disappoint!