Maybe it’s just my deep love of cooking and food, but grocery shopping has always been one of my favorite activities. I could spend hours in a grocery store wandering the aisles picking out my favorite products and simultaneously discovering new ones. To me grocery shopping is never a chore but to some it is, which is why I want to compile my favorite grocery shopping tips!
1) Don’t go hungry, you will be a lot more likely to buy some not-so-nutritious products when your grumbling stomach is louder than your conscience.
2) Always check labels! You don’t have to study them, but at least look for the sugar content, calories/calories from fat (WARNING: check the serving size!), and carbohydrate content.
3) Don’t go crazy…this is a difficult one for me. It’s easy to forget how quickly some foods go bad, especially the produce. If you load your cart with vegetables and fruits enough for a month you are going to end up throwing half of the food and your money away.
4) To save some cash skip going organic when you can. With some foods (avocado, cabbage, onions, asparagus, grapefruit..) it’s unnecessary to buy the organic options as these food are the least likely to be contaminated with pesticides. Save yourself a dollar or two!
3) Have some meals for the week in mind when you go. Your food is less likely to sit in a cabinet for months if you have recipes in mind and buy the ingredients to match!
4) Have fun! Grocery shopping doesn’t have to be a chore. Enjoy your time in the store! (apologies for the cheesy rhyme)
Some of my favorite stores: Trader Joe’s, Safeway, Whole Foods (when I can afford it), and a new one Sprouts Farmer’s Market!